Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pick a Planner Any Planner....NOT....

Sometimes I feel as though our industry is compared to the "Let's Make A Deal" show aired in the 70's. Honestly, I just cannot be the "Marty" you see on TV. I don't have a toaster or 14 karat gold chain to slip in if you sign with me today, sorry. I really do love what I do. However, for as much as I'd like to spend my life just designing events, I know I can be of better service training others to achieve their goals. Most that know me, I mean "REALLY" know me, are savvy that I'm not a follower. I'm a leader . I can't sit back when I see so much that can be done to make something better. Our industry for example. My years working in Corporate America were a great experience and I thank the people who put their trust in me to build a better team,a better company overall. I always achieved their goals and made sure I surpassed the expectations. I've been trained to do this in all areas of my life. OK. I'm letting loose.... I just don't understand why "we" cannot be one happy community? The bridal world is happy!!!! Why is the answer apparent that we can't? We'll, I can't accept that answer! For those who want to be elsewhere on their path to success, instead of training to get there you would rather criticize your peers (us) who have?? This is happening in every area of our industry. I know I'm not alone in this thought process. I just don't have the edit button like some of our vendors do. Why are some people are better than others? Honestly, there's no "BIG" secret and stop asking why we're better (no one is better, maybe "better" educated or trained). It's simple. We train, we work our behinds off and not to be the best, or better. Like some of you some might think. We do it to better ourselves. And sometimes what we offer isn't good enough for us, so we reach for more. And yet, in the end when were rewarded or recognised for this, it's not always such a positive forum of feedback from our peers. Makes no sense to me??? I'm not asking for a silver star, just some respect on how hard I work. We can all blame the green monster of jealousy..I'm getting tired of doing that. I just chock it up and move on...Or try to. People ask why I charge what I do? Why does it matter? You may ask what I do that's better than you? Again, why does it matter? I'm not trying to be better than anyone in the industry.But instead am trying to better myself. If this is a crime, so be it. In the last 2 months I have had wedding spies I laugh when I say this..Yes...Wedding Spies..Who call and ask for pricing or package information. I just want to pre-warn you, I don't give any of that information to anyone on the phone. Why? Again, none of your business. You may hear I charge 3 times the amount you do. And honestly, we all charge what we feel were worth. If you try to low ball some of the planners who have been doing this for a long period of time, you are essentially saying your worth less. If you want this type of reputation, go for it. I would highly suggest you revisit this option. Our clients share your information with us to see if we'll match the price. I say this with my heart, why do I need to match someones price when I still invest the same amount of time and have more experience than some of the others on their list? They end up agreeing were not comparing apples to apples. So why does someone work with us? Because they like our vision. We do sell ourselves along with experience. If someone worked with us for the wrong reason, they would lose out on having the best experience possible. Not all clients are the right fit for my team, and we know this. So as some might take on anyone,I'm going to take a different approach and make sure the client, no matter how much of a budget they have, is able to receive the best experience possible. If it can't be with us, I want them to find someone who can offer this. It's not always about the dollar bill people. I know with this tough economy you may feel taking on any client is key. You will learn the hard way. Stop looking at your financial benefits and start worrying about your clients experience huh? And PLEASE stop trying to low ball us..Your not giving yourselves a good reputation, your destroying your worth. I'm giving you great sound advice. You want success? Then start with putting in the time and effort needed. We did! For those planners who feel by charging less, your going to gain more clientele,or possibly get more of our business, you're mistaken. Most of the clients we work with, know exactly what they are investing in. And they are comfortable investing more in a company such as ours because they know we've worked a long time to get here. And to be honest, we're a better fit. I promise you, they have done their homework. And it's not just from watching us on a reality television show. I have a good piece of advice for those who try to low-ball planners, florists, photographers etc...Sometimes by doing this, your doing us a favor. Not every client you work with is going to be easy. The biggest gift you can give us is to take away more stress. If you want to work with people who nickle and dime all of your vendors including your services, you can have them. But, who will walk away feeling good about the exp? You may want to ask yourself that. Wishing all of the aspiring planners much success! And if you ever want to learn a better way of working with your business, maybe calling me directly might be a better way to get my attention? I'm getting smarter and our meetings with you will be much more fun for us than you, if this continues. One last thought, I will do just about anything for someone who genuinely wants to learn. You have my word on that!

2 comments:

Jeannette said...

Hi Samantha,

I LOVE your honesty! That's right, charge what you are worth. Sorry to hear that people are low balling you but because you've been in the industry for so long, you a trooper and and inspiration to us all!

Sincerely,

Jeannette

Unknown said...

Thank you Jeannette.

I think the planners that low-ball are never going to get far...I would hope after proper education they would actually be able to do what they love and earn a living the honest way. Everything in our industry is service related and we use time as our "worth"..Everyone can afford a planner if you have an idea of what you need. Maybe it's just a few hours...You can't put a price on stress free planning!

I devote my time to ensuring our clients recieve fab service. There's another "calling" for me. To give back to my peers that aspire to be the next "best" fancy pants somebody! Those who play it safe standing behind me, will fail. I do serve as a warning to others and yes, I'm nutty. It's who I am & it's not going to change, as it works. Feel free to comment & join me on what could be the best road trip EVER!

Not That Sassi Planner Again???

Bling and Pearls Can Be The Icing on The Cake!

Bling and Pearls Can Be The Icing on The Cake!
Too Good Too Eat.

Just admit it, I say off the wall things...And it works!