Saturday, July 12, 2008

How Do You Know If You Hired The Right Planner?

How do you know if you hired the right planner? Good question. How do you know if you bought the right car? These 2 questions have one thing in common, they both require preference. When you apply for a job, one might suggest that you should come prepared with questions that pertain to the company. Maybe their philosophy on productivity or open door policy when it comes to ideas. Whatever the position is the key factor is to ask questions that will assist you in making the right decision long term. When clients come to us wanting to understand our philosophy or how we work with clients, we are also making sure that we are asking the questions. This information is crucial in that it provides us with tools to make sure we are able to service the need of the client. One thing I have learned is that you do not want to promise things that you are not 100% confident you can deliver. How do you know if the Coordinator is a good fit for you? Well, do you know the things that are most important for you on the day of your wedding? If you don't, you should really write down your "needs" so that you and your planner are on the same page. Try not to visit a planner unless you are sure of what you hope to accomplish. This will ensure a productive meeting. It will also save you time in making the right decision. Another area that's extremely important is that his or her personality must compliment yours. They must be able to visualize what you want. You are building a relationship with a person who is going to share the responsibility of something that is very important to you. I may ask someone if they consider themselves to be an A type one who likes to stay in control or B maybe a bit more passive. While some people like the passive trait, it may not get the job done. Especially if you are the driver. I have had many clients that have the passive trait and have basically left everything in my hands. While I appreciate the compliment, it is somewhat stressful. What if they say do what you want I like your taste, and they end up disliking your choice? All fingers pointing on who? Us. Last year was a very strange one speaking of passive clients. I had one couple who basically just wanted to show up. It came time to start design and she would always procrastinate. I realized she was just so overwhelmed she wanted to just be a guest and not worry about anything. It was 2 weeks before her wedding and she was supposed to visit the florist to review contracts and have a last minute showing of her centerpiece. I get a call from the florist telling me she missed the appointment. So I called my client in a somewhat frantic state asking what happened?? She began by explaining somethings came up and could I just meet with the florist for her, I know her taste. I have to tell you as much as I felt honored to do this, I was scared to death! Cliff note version in the end, she loved the design and I was really lucky. Mentally my brain felt fried. I knew at that moment I would never do that again. There are no guarantees that even though she likes my taste with some of weddings we have done, that she is going to like my choice for her wedding. This experience told me I cannot handle that type of pressure! I needed clients that want to be just as involved as I am if not more... I hope this helps answer your question!

1 comment:

Tracey Kumer-Moore said...

I agree Samantha,

I always tell my prospective clients that I am not going to plan their wedding, THEY ARE and I am going to collaborate and assist and also guide them to the ideas and resources and professionals who are going to bring it to life.

I am going to be there to help them be that voice of reason, be aware of the details but also help them see the big picture when they get mired in the mucky details and minutia and help them to bring their wedding to life and have a great party that is memorable for everyone for all the right reasons:)
T.

I devote my time to ensuring our clients recieve fab service. There's another "calling" for me. To give back to my peers that aspire to be the next "best" fancy pants somebody! Those who play it safe standing behind me, will fail. I do serve as a warning to others and yes, I'm nutty. It's who I am & it's not going to change, as it works. Feel free to comment & join me on what could be the best road trip EVER!

Not That Sassi Planner Again???

Bling and Pearls Can Be The Icing on The Cake!

Bling and Pearls Can Be The Icing on The Cake!
Too Good Too Eat.

Just admit it, I say off the wall things...And it works!