Thursday, October 15, 2009

The UGLY bridesmaids dress!

I think one of the biggest honors in the world is being asked by a close friend to stand up at her wedding. It's like winning the Emmys! You're proud and you want to make this day amazing for your friend "the bride". With this title of "Bridesmaid or Maid of Honor", there's responsibility that tags along side if it. Call it a silent contract. You will do the best you can to assist the bride with little projects up until the wedding. You will also help her ease the stress with lending an ear even if 90% of the time it's bitching about the inlaws or even her own family. Even if you cannot hear another ounce of whining, you listen with the phone on speaker while you polish your nails or watch a favorite movie with subtitles. It's a hectic job right? But you take each day with a deep breath and you deal with it. Or at least you try to. So there you have it, you made the cut into the bridal party. It's all good right? Or until she decides what the bridesmaids dresses are going to look like...If everyone had the same taste, we would never have issues. Or if all of the ladies have the same figure, big boobs and a size 22 waist, we'd be in GREAT shape. However, let's be honest, the likelihood of this happening are slim to none. How many weddings have you stood up in where the bride says just wear what you want in this color? Since most of my friends are married or divorced working on #2, I can tell you I never was given that option. Now when we look at albums, I get apologies cause Sam, you didn't look good in that dress. No one did! After spending a few hundred on a deep purple dress with a lace collar for example, it makes one wonder what the designer was on when they marketed such an item. Not even Cindy Crawford would look good in this. You know how certain things can make someone look bad right? This is definitely one of those fashion DON'T! So why is it that some brides pick a dress that only they can wear or appreciate? "She has that vision thing going on again". It's a brides thing...You see it in a a magazine and your sure your bridal party is going to look just as glamorous as the photo. Well NOT if some are tall, short , blessed on top, blessed on bottom...Or over blessed. I have witnessed the OVER BLESSED and let me tell you, I can't even find the words to describe what it looks like. I wonder of these women felt the same pain I feel...I am sure they do! I wouldn't be able to stand back if I wasn't comfortable wearing something. I would hope my friend could appreciate that everyone wants to look good. I mean it is her wedding and she is your friend, right? I cannot even tell you how many times I have watched bridesmaids argue, drop out of the bridal party or worst case scenario end the friendship over the dress...Yes...Over the dress. It gets wicked and sometimes the outcome is not pretty. Even if the party decides to wear the choice regardless if they look good in it or not. I have to ask, doesn't anyone worry about the photos? Take this photo (above) for example. I cannot believe the girls saw this dress and said YES IT'S PERFECT! Now luckily all of them had the figure to pull a dress like this off. I am not saying they looked good in it. In fact, my first response was feeling a slight urge to vomit just looking at it. As a planner one area I stay away from is the Brides dress and her entourage's attire. Why? Because everyone has an opinion and this particular subject is very emotional. I don't want to give the wrong answer. Or perhaps the honest answer. I think this is up to the family or close friends to get beaten over. I have enough issues in other areas to deal with. So while you see me on television going with the bride to try on the gown, it's not my idea. The good news is that many designers especially the chain stores like a Davids Bridal give the bride and her bridesmaids a choice in style to match every body type. While the bride is able to create the palate, the BM's are able to feel comfortable in a gown even though it may not be her favorite color. Many designers are now doing this to show diversity and maybe assist with the issues that do come up while searching for the perfect look. Just remember bridesmaids, there are solutions with the dress. It's not wrong to express your concerns and if you can give a few options to your special friend who is going to be the one in white, you may find it's not a fight after all. To the bride who made her BM's wear this one as shown in the picture, I am sure we can all agree they will not be wearing this dress again. Especially since it's all over the Internet. Who would have ever thought this color could be so intrusive? Someone finally made it happen!

No comments:

I devote my time to ensuring our clients recieve fab service. There's another "calling" for me. To give back to my peers that aspire to be the next "best" fancy pants somebody! Those who play it safe standing behind me, will fail. I do serve as a warning to others and yes, I'm nutty. It's who I am & it's not going to change, as it works. Feel free to comment & join me on what could be the best road trip EVER!

Not That Sassi Planner Again???

Bling and Pearls Can Be The Icing on The Cake!

Bling and Pearls Can Be The Icing on The Cake!
Too Good Too Eat.

Just admit it, I say off the wall things...And it works!