Friday, January 11, 2008

Weddings and Reality During Your Planning

If you think I am talking about the show...not this time. I need a break from that! Let's talk reality here. I have planned over 600 weddings in my career as a planner. Did I just say that? Out of this 600 maybe 5% have been peaceful, stress free for my clients due to family keeping to themselves, people not throwing advice on what's right and wrong (this includes family and friends)and staying away from too many forms of advice. If I could meet Miss Manners I know she would agree that too much of anything wedding related is not good while planning your special day. Did you hear that....I said your special day! It is really about you and your significant other. Why do you all seem to forget that? This is not about the color of the dress, the venue, the flowers, the invites, the favors etc etc etc...Who mom can or can't invite. Although these items are part of planning your wedding they are not what's going to keep you sane after the day is over. It's one day. I know I may sound really blunt here. But most people who have read my posts or have seen my shows know this about me. I don't say this because I am trying to be rude, I am saying this because I care and see so many brides and grooms getting stressed about this one day. The one comment that I hear most often after the chaos has stopped is well, if we can make it through the planning of this wedding, we can surely make the marriage work. I have to say...If that is your philosophy...You are in BIG trouble. This is the easy stuff. When you get married things do change. It's not just a relationship where if things get too heated you can run. You can run to another bedroom....or your garage, but that's about it! If I could give you one piece of advice for those of you that are getting ready for the big "plunge"..It would be focus on the relationship during your planning. Yes, get the planning done. Take people's advice with a grain of salt. If you don't like mom's ideas, say that's a great idea mom, when we get to that part I will definitely think about that...Don't fight it...Just put it on hold. And most of all those wedding timelines...Girls...those are guidelines. Not lifelines...(I see you smiling) If you don't get the invites ordered 4-6 months before the wedding. It's ok. That is was RUSH means. So pay the extra $20 and just get it done. Pace yourself. It's a good tool, but not the last say. And please try your best not to buy every wedding book ever made... Too much is NOT a good thing! When I was pregnant I read this book 'What To Expect When You're Expecting" Well that was a BAD idea....Not only did I read this book like 50 times...But I must have had EVERY disease one could have. Stop laughing at me :) So I went on line, I bought more books and soon our baby's room looked like a library! It wasn't until I had been to the doctor like for the 5th time he said..ok..STOP reading the books. STOP looking on line...Just STOP. You are not dying you're having a baby! I should write a book about what to expect while your planning your wedding! Have I got some GREAT stories for you! I must start my day. But wanted to say please take care of yourself today! This could be your big weekend and if it is ENJOY! XXOO Samantha

No comments:

I devote my time to ensuring our clients recieve fab service. There's another "calling" for me. To give back to my peers that aspire to be the next "best" fancy pants somebody! Those who play it safe standing behind me, will fail. I do serve as a warning to others and yes, I'm nutty. It's who I am & it's not going to change, as it works. Feel free to comment & join me on what could be the best road trip EVER!

Not That Sassi Planner Again???

Bling and Pearls Can Be The Icing on The Cake!

Bling and Pearls Can Be The Icing on The Cake!
Too Good Too Eat.

Just admit it, I say off the wall things...And it works!