Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Wedding Industry, Yes, It has shady areas..

I cannot tell you how many calls we get during the week asking us about vendors or referral of. It's hard when I haven't worked with the vendor to give you an honest answer. There are many great vendors out there. I have had the honor of working with some of the best! But how do you know your not going to end up with a company such as Celebrations Studio's or Calvary Bridal? I have to tell you, I was extremely lucky not to have any brides associated with either vendor. I was happy to see that someone finally spoke up about Calvary. The story behind this dress shop; (I had a good source)They had changed names and locations to try and find their way back into the industry last year. They even went as far as to say they had a new management crew. Low and behold, many brides had given them thousands towards their gown and were having major issues. One bride took it to the press...You know it's REALLY bad when we have one of our fellow brides calling every studio you can think of to get this taken care of. You know what, I don't blame her one bit. I would have done the same thing. I would have been a lot nastier and well, if you know how I operate it would NEVER happen again. Well to make a long story short, the designer of her gown got wind of this and ensured her gown was made in time for the wedding. How humiliating for the designer and for the bride. You wonder why brides go ballistic? Obviously you all have to realize that nothing you sign is ever set in stone. Nothing is ever 100% guaranteed. However, by doing the proper research on each vendor, getting good references (I mean physical and not from the chat boards)and knowing exactly what you are signing, you may find yourself in a better situation than some of our past bridal horror tales. I want to say something in defense of the "vendor" and the chat boards. I know several brides feel that this is the "word"...I'm not listing any specific boards, but some are just not moderated and well, there is always 2 sides to every situation. If you ever read that one particular vendor did something specific and it's not consistent with what others say, the likelihood of it happening again, may be slim to none. I have worked with many vendors who are "butchered" in the "lime" light and I have to tell you, have you ever met some of their brides who were unhappy? Well, I have and I don't think they would be happy with anything. I have been butchered. I don't like it. But I know deep down, I have my side and that person may have theirs. I'm glad I have people backing me up and these are the same vendors that I work with as well...It's nice to have people that watch out for you. It's also great to know that there are many vendors that look out for the bride too. All contractual agreements must look out for both parties. If you have ANY contract that does not protect you in someway, have an attorney look at it. DON'T SIGN ANYTHING unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are purchasing. You also need to discuss the what ifs! I know this is NOT an area that we want to visit. But there have been situations where the bride and groom do not make it to the altar. I don't even want to think about this, but it happens. I've had brides and grooms that for whatever reason, reschedule, cancel etc... The BIG question is what will happen if you cancel? Are you responsible for the entire contract? Let's use a venue as an example. You may loose your entire deposit and then some. You may find that some venues will set a contract where whether you make it or not, you are held responsible to pay the entire minimum of the evening. If this occurs, DON'T walk away! I would ask around if you have any friend needing a location for a surprise party or wedding...ANYTHING...Worst case, have a party celebrating your friendships and family! If you pay this venue and walk away...You are giving them thousands. They are going to work with you no matter what. You've set the date and it belongs to you with or without the man! I have worked with brides in this situation. I know it feels like BAD luck...It isn't, I assure you. Just remember good talent does not come a dime a dozen...Look before you sign, and if the price seems too good to be true, it usually is. Unless your donating an ovary for $3,000....Finding a venue at this price is pretty slim to none. Unless you are going to serve the KFC family meal..I am not cutting down the man in white, he does blend in. I'm merely pointing out that the red and white buckets may not be what you had in mind. I do like their french fries...But have never had a bride ask for them during dinner. Do you catch my drift?

No comments:

I devote my time to ensuring our clients recieve fab service. There's another "calling" for me. To give back to my peers that aspire to be the next "best" fancy pants somebody! Those who play it safe standing behind me, will fail. I do serve as a warning to others and yes, I'm nutty. It's who I am & it's not going to change, as it works. Feel free to comment & join me on what could be the best road trip EVER!

Not That Sassi Planner Again???

Bling and Pearls Can Be The Icing on The Cake!

Bling and Pearls Can Be The Icing on The Cake!
Too Good Too Eat.

Just admit it, I say off the wall things...And it works!